Monday, September 6, 2010

The Human Voice versus Human Touch

I took a test last weekend(?), in which a question was posed as to which of the following two choices do you need more: to hear the human voice daily, or to be touched by a human daily? I thought for sure my answer was human touch, but I surprise myself at how many days in a row I can avoid physical human contact...but I read out-loud to myself when I'm alone in a room, not because I'm lonely, but it helps my reading comprehension when I read out-loud, and it's only a couple of steps past sub-vocalisation which I do when I read silently. Frankly, I don't find it embarrassing to read out-loud when I'm alone...There ARE people who should be ashamed that I need to do so, though...For example, medical professionals who were in the birthing room the day I was born, and a couple in a pickup truck on a drizzly summer day in the eighties (the decade, not in degrees Farenheit -- at least not that I can recall).
Additionally, when I write or type, I dictate out-loud.
However, I do agree that when someone likes the sound of their own voice as much as I do, it comes across as rather narcissistic...Although NOT as narcissistic as refusing to treat someone well unless he or she has the same physical build as himself or herself. That kind of person irritates me as much because of their narcissism as for their hatred of anyone they deem unfit to speak due to their physique. (I guess it's rather evident that I've run into this type of individual often.) I realize that those last couple of sentences came out all awkward, etc., but it's only because I had to go back and edit them. I should edit them further, but I'm tired and about to cough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to comment on my blog, I respectfully ask that you keep your comments clean, refraining from using the following, and anything relative to the following:
_Excessive Profanity (Please note that while I may not be offended by some words, my other readers MAY be, so using a thesaurus is a good idea)
_Unnecessary Vulgarity
_Excessive and/or Inappropriate Cursing
_Prison Lingo
_Excessive Drug-Culture Lingo
_Inaccurate and/or Unqualified/Unfounded Commentary on People's Mental Health (such as calling someone "crazy" or leaving messages about a fellow blogger having some form(s) of mental illness, etc.) Note that "insane" is a legal term, not a medical term, and be very careful with the usage of "sociopath," as it is a very serious accusation.
_Inappropriate comments on a person's sexual practices